2/17/11

A Celebration of "Roots" - Mama's Sweet Potato Pie





Today's post is dedicated to the groundbreaking 1977 television mini-series, "Roots", which is based on Alex Haley's Pulitzer Prize winning book.  "Roots" is such an incredible achievement that I struggled to develop a recipe that is special enough, important enough, for this film, because it has touch me and millions of other viewers, regardless of race or age.

I finally realized I needed to get down to my own "roots".  I had already blogged about the perfect recipe for this film, my mother's Sweet Potato Pie.  Her recipe, which called for a "pinch" of this and a "handful" or "swallow" of that, is based on the oral handing down of the recipe from her mother, and so on.  Although I did cheat a little by using Pillsbury pie crust, it is almost as good as Mama's.  CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR THE RECIPE:
Mamas Best Sweet Potato Pie

 PRINT THIS RECIPE










Print This Post

No comments: